The Canada Revenue Agency recently released the TY 2018 version of Form NR-4, Statement of Amounts Paid or Credited to Non-Residents of Canada. This form is filed by Canadian payers and withholding agents who make payments to non-residents of Canada for income such as interest, dividends, rents, royalties, pensions, and acting services in a film or video production.
There are a few minor updates to the TY 2018 version of the form, which are as follows:
- Income Code 46 was changed from “Taxable CPP Benefits” to “CPP Benefits” in TY 2018.
- The code description does not change the requirements for this particular code, per the instructions for Form NR-4.
- Income Code 49 was changed from “Taxable Quebec Pension Plan Benefits” to “Quebec Pension Plan Benefits”.
- Similar to Income Code 46, this does not change the associated requirements for this particular code.
- A small edit was made to the language below the income codes on p. 2:
- “…the payment of debts owed to the Crown” was replaced with “…collection activities”.
The instructions for this form were also updated, and included updates and additional information from the previous version.
- As of May 14, 2018, non-resident account owners must use Form NR95 to either grant or cancel authorization of a representative for non-resident accounts. This is covered in detail on page 6 of the publication.
- Previously a letter indicating approval or cancellation was sufficient, but that is no longer the case.
About the AuthorMore Content by Paul Ogawa