West Virginia recently published the final version of IT-105, their Electronic W-2 Reporting Specifications. This publication provides the rules and electronic specifications for reporting W-2 data through the West Virginia MyTax portal.
There are a few updates to the 2017 version of these specifications, which are as follows:
- All 2017 withholding data must be submitted through the West Virginia MyTaxes secure website. There are, however, exceptions to this rule.
- If filers are unable to comply with new guidelines, CD ROMs will be permitted for 2017 as a transition year only. The package must include a WV/IT-105 Transmitter Summary Report and a WV/IT-103 Annual Reconciliation.
- Corrected W-2s must be submitted on paper with an amended WV/IT-103 form.
- Prior year data must be submitted on CD ROM.
- All files must contain the IT-103 (Annual Reconciliation) as the RV Record.
- This requirement is new for TY 2017.
- RV Record monetary amounts are different than the standard EFW-2 format: use whole dollar amounts, rounding to the nearest dollar.
- All submissions MUST include the RS and RV records.
- For every RE record, there must be a corresponding RV record.
- Failure to include required records will result in a rejected submission.
To review these specifications in full, please click here.
About the Author
Paul Ogawa is a Junior Regulatory Counsel at Sovos Compliance. As part of the Regulatory Analysis team, his main areas of focus are state and federal tax withholding, the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and Canadian tax information reporting. Prior to Sovos, Paul worked as a litigation attorney in Boston area law firms, representing clients in insurance subrogation claims, family law matters, and employment disputes. Paul is a member of the Massachusetts Bar, earned his B.A. from Brandeis University and his J.D. from the Suffolk University Law School.More Content by Paul Ogawa