Ohio recently updated their Specifications for Filing W-2 Forms Electronically. These specifications are based on the federal model provided by the Social Security Administration, with state-specific modifications added for the purposes of Ohio reporting requirements.
A number of changes were made to the specifications for TY 2017, which are as follows:
- Field Positions 394-395, 396-422, 423-437, 438-442, and 443-445 were added in the most recent update:
- 394-395: Country Code (fill with blanks for US States, D.C., Military Postal Offices, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Otherwise, use applicable Country Code).
- 396-422: Contact Name (Required Fields).
- 423-437: Contact Phone Number (Required Field).
- 438-442: Contact Phone Extension.
- 443-445: Blank (fill with blanks, reserve for SSA Use).
- Field Positions 298-307 has changed from “Other State Data” to “Wages, Tips and Other Compensation”.
- Enter employee’s total annual wages, tips, and other compensation.
- Prior versions did not include this field as a part of the RS record.
- Field Positions 308, 309-319, 320-330, and 331-337 added specificity to their Field Specifications.
- Previously all fields stated “Applies to SCHOOL DISTRICT INCOME TAX”. In the recent update, the same sections state “Applies to required SCHOOL DISTRCT INCOME TAX if an employee resides in a taxing school district” (bold added for emphasis).
To review these specifications in full, please click here.
About the AuthorMore Content by Paul Ogawa