The IRS has released a draft for an updated 2018 General Instructions for Certain Information Returns. The IRS had previously released a final version of the 2018 General Instructions in January 2018, but they have since made some changes on the new draft released. Below is a list of the changes from the previous release:
- The publication now includes instructions for new 1099 Forms: Form 1099-LS and Form 1099-SB.
- Form 1096 has also been updated to reflect the addition of two new forms due to P.L. 115-97
- P.L. 115-97 imposes new information reporting obligations for reportable policy sales of life insurance contracts after December 31, 2017, and for payments of reportable death benefits after December 31, 2017. The IRS anticipates issuing new forms Form 1099-LS and 1099-SB to accommodate the reporting of information for reportable policy sales under sections 6050Y(a) and (b), respectively. Form 1099-R has been revised to accommodate the reporting of payments of reportable death benefits under section 6050Y(c).
- Form 1099-LS (Reportable Life Insurance Sale)
- Reports proceeds from a reportable life insurance sale
- Form 1099-SB (Seller’s Investment in Life Insurance Contract)
- Reports seller’s investment in a life insurance contract as determined by the issuer
To view the 2018 Draft General Instructions, please click the link here.
About the AuthorMore Content by Adam Rivera