California's Employment Development Department recently updated DE-44, the California Employer's Guide, for 2018. The following changes have been made:
- All returns, wage reports, and tax deposits must be filed online with the EDD. This is a change from last year where employers with less than 10 employers could file by paper.
- The 2018 State Disability Insurance withholding rate is 1%; the SDI taxable wage limit is $114,967 per employee per year; the 2018 DI/PFL max weekly benefit amount is $1,216.
- The list of forms to give to employees in the flow chart available on page 5 has been changed, with Form W-4/DE 4 to be used in place of form DE 35.
- The delinquent date for first quarter filings of DE 9s and DE 9Cs has been changed from May 1 to April 30.
- The values of meals and lodgings has increased.
- Changes have been made to the Withholding Schedule Tables for both Method A and B.
- Employers may now file Reports of Independent Contractor(s), DE 542, online on e-Services for Business.
- The pay roll tax deposit due date has been changed from May 1 to April 30 for 1st quarter deposits.
- The San Diego phone number for inquiries regarding the Employment Training Panel has changed to 1(858)300-6448.
To read the Employer's Guide in full, please follow the link.